Date:      Fri, 11 May 2007 10:32:35 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Peter Schuller" <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Stable many-port SATA controller recommendations

please post dmesg!

Be aware that some disk drives do the wrong thing.  Western Digital desktop
disks, for example, don't simply remap a sector when they find a bad one,
they sit there scrubbing forever trying to reread the data.  WD calls this
a "feature" and their server-quality WD disks that cost more don't do this.
It makes use of these disks impossible in a raid array.  Seagates and
Maxtor desktop drives to my knowledge don't do this.

Ted