Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 2004 20:25:01 +0200
From:      Eirik Oeverby <ltning@anduin.net>
To:        fcash-ml@sd73.bc.ca
Cc:        Sean Page <Sean.Page@epsb.ca>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on 64 bit AMD

Freddie Cash wrote:
>>Is anyone out there running FreeBSD on the AMD Opteron Processor 200
>>Series?
>

>>We're looking at putting a Sun V20z into production and I would very
>>much appreciate hearing any experiences out there using this hardware
>>with FreeBSD.
>

> Pop over to http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/ and read through the
> various threads about this.  There are quite a few people running
> 32-bit and 64-bit FreeBSD on the Athlon64 and Opteron.  Some are
> having nothing but problems, other are having nothing but smooth
> sailing.  Their experiences appear to depend on the ports they are
> running.

And what kernel revision. I seem to have found a 'sweet spot' with a
rock solid kernel right now, but for about two weeks after upgrading my
dual p3 to a dual opteron, it was crashing every second day due to some
kernel issues. Was never able to debug it though, since I'm sitting in
Oslo (Norway) and the box is in Hamburg (Germany), so all I could do was
  upgrading kernel/world small steps at a time until it survived a night ;)

But right now, it's pretty darn smooth. And the fastest box I've ever
laid my hands on, locally or remote.

/Eirik