Date:      Mon, 05 Nov 2001 22:02:30 +0100
From:      Michael Piotrowski <mxp@dynalabs.de>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sony Vaio Z600LEK

Akira Funahashi <funa@funa.org> writes:

> Michael Piotrowski <mxp@dynalabs.de> wrote:
> > <http://www.funa.org/current/>; comes close, but seems to be outdated
>> (2000-07-28)--but it reports all components of a Z505 as working.
>
> I'm the author of this page, and I'm pretty surprised to see my URL
> in this mailing list.

You are? It's about using FreeBSD on a notebook, so I'd think this an
obvious reference.

> As described by other mail, this page is outdated.

Yup, I know that, and I even mentioned it myself ;-) But it's still a
good example.

> I must catch up with recent -CURRENT, but I'm not using this Z505
> now because my wife is using Windows on it. ;-) At that
> time(2000-07-28), many patches were required, but now all patches
> are merged into -CURRENT and -STABLE. Thanks to all FreeBSD folks!

Um, the CD-ROM (PCGA-CD51) problem still exists in -current, while it
worked for you back in 2000 (!), and should work in -release with that
patch.  I don't know about stable, but it doesn't seem to contain the
patch either.  This is *very* confusing.

> Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net> wrote:
> > > 2. Power management (APM/ACPI) (system doesn't wake up again, unclear
>> >    if/how suspend-to-disk works)
>>
>> I believe the LEK doesn't have real APM support. You're probably
>> screwed unless you use the ACPI support in FreeBSD-CURRENT.
>
> Recent laptops doesn't have real APM support, so your Z600LEK is
> quite different with my Z505NR. As Peter says, you have to use ACPI.
> I don't know whether your VAIO's ACPI is fully supported or not, but
> try executing
>
>   # acpiconf -s 3
>
> to get your VAIO sleep(maybe your VAIO supports S3 sleep state).

Well, I've tried -release and -current, though only briefly:

- In -release, I could use the hardware button to put it to sleep
  (didn't try apm(1)), and it would wake up afterwards, but it had
  trouble with USB (someone else had already described this problem on
  this list).

- In -current, ACPI was detected, and I could put it to sleep either
  using hardware or software, but it wouldn't wake up again.

However, this is just from memory, and I only tested it very briefly.

>> > 3. The Jog Dial
>
> Recent -CURRENT supports jogdial (though I haven't tested yet).
> Please read /sys/i386/conf/NOTES. "device spic" should do the work.
> I don't know which userland application supports jogdial, but you
> can directly read the value from jogdial.
> The source is /sys/i386/isa/spic.c , and the project URL is
> http://phantom.cris.net/freebsd/projects/viewproj.php?p_id=3
> .

Yes, I've seen this, but I didn't try it.

>> > 4. The Memory Stick reader
>>
>> The jog dial, memory stick reader and firewire on my Z505HS have never
>> worked and I have no expectation of them working soon under FreeBSD.
>>
>> On some earlier revisions of Z505s the memory stick reader were
>> different hardware which was supported but the later ones are not.
>
> Ah, yes. My Z505NR can't use memory stick device either. This device
> is attached to ATA device. But recent VAIO's memory stick reader is
> attached to USB mass storage.
> >From your Z600LEK's dmesg,
>
> Michael Piotrowski <mxp@dynalabs.de> wrote:
> > umass0: Sony USB Memory Stick Slot, rev 1.10/1.31, addr 3
>
> it is shown that your memory stick reader is attached to umass0.
> Your memory stick reader may work. Plug in your memory stick to the
> reader, and just execute
>
>   # camcontrol rescan da
>
> Your memory stick will be attached to /dev/da0s1 or something like that.
> Now, I'm using VAIO SR9/K and this VAIO also has memory stick reader
> as USB mass storage. I can use it both on 4.3-RELEASE and -CURRENT.
>
>> What I'm really looking for at this point is, as I said, mainly
>> information and experiences (which I would be happy to summarize).
>
> Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot! However, after I found out that *different* sets of
things work/fail with 4.4-release and -current (thus my confusion), I
decided to try Linux, and Redhat 7.1 worked out of the box (other
Linux distributions didn't).  So, although FreeBSD would have been my
first choice, I'm now a bit reluctant to try it again right now...
Maybe in a while.

Thanks again

--
Michael Piotrowski, M.A.                                  <mxp@dynalabs.de>