Date:      Thu, 21 May 1998 09:09:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Hugh LaMaster <lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI Differential cards

On Thu, 21 May 1998, Guido Kollerie wrote:

> On Wed, 20 May 1998, Richard Foulk wrote:
>
> > } I have purchased 2 Barracuda ST32171WD Ultra-scsi 3 HDs ($89 each ;^) )
> > } and I have to buy a differential scsi card. Has anyone had any good/bad
> > } experiences with the mylex 958d cards?
> >
> > I've had trouble with other mylex interfaces.  I'd stay away from this one
> > simply because it's not very popular, thus support will be spotty.

Strange.  I used a BT-958 fast/wide (but not differential) for some
time and, with a fast disk got excellent results (as a single user
of the system).  And, that was with the old driver with no tagged
queuing.  Assuming the debug stage is past, the new driver:

> Very recently Justin T. Gibbs released a new device driver for the
> Multimaster series, which includes the bt-958d. Hence support seems to be
> just fine to me.

should make performance even better with multiple disks and/etc.
(I haven't tried it).  My only complaint about the BT-9xx series
is that they are kind of pricey - the reason I would tend to go
with the Symbios-based boards is that they are usually cheaper.

Granted, I don't have differential drivers or controller, so,
I can't verify that that the -D version has no problems, but,
I fail to see why trouble would be more likely than usual
with the BT-958D.  Anybody out there using the BT-958D?  Any
trouble?

--
 Hugh LaMaster, M/S 233-21,    ASCII Email: hlamaster@mail.arc.nasa.gov
 NASA Ames Research Center     Or:          lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov