Date:      Sat, 8 Mar 2003 23:25:42 -0500
From:      Larry Sica <lomion@mac.com>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FYI: SCO Group Slaps IBM with $1B Suit

On Friday, March 7, 2003, at 02:09 PM, Terry Lambert wrote:
> IBM has 5 patents they belive SQUID infringes; that why we were
> not allowed to ship SQUID on the InterJet II, due to the GPL
> giving away licensing for that patent.  It's also why there is
> no "IBM Linux", and they always partner with a Linux company to
> provide Linux for their machines, when they sell a Linux-based
> solution.  If SQUID or Linux ever became a threat in the hands
> of a commercial competitor, they could crush them like a bug.

I didn't know about this.  I understand their fear of the GPL infection
thing though.  This is partly why i prefer a BSDL style license myself.
    Good thing that patents aren't like trademarks in the enforcement
aspect where you have to defend it or lose it.   But this comes down to
a question, have the squid people tried to settle possible patent
issues with IBM?

> I have a real love/hate relationship with IBM over tactics like
> this: they are incredibly smart about some things, but incredibly
> dumb about others.

They are like most companies, but bigger.  IBM overall, at least now,
seems to be not so bad to deal with at least.

--Larry