Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 15:02:42 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
To:        "Aaron D. Gifford" <agifford@infowest.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BIND 8.* and STABLE

Aaron D. Gifford wrote:

> I would LOVE to see BIND 8 make its way into -STABLE.  That way I won't
> have to keep reinstalling BIND 8 after every "make world" overwrites it
> with the older version. :)

	BIND 8 is not ready for -Stable. The BIND people will tell you that.
You can avoid rebuilding named by editing /usr/src/usr.sbin/Makefile. If
you rebuild often, try copying Makefile to makefile and editing
makefile. It will supersede the Makefile in the same directory. I use
this technique often to avoid building various aspects of the tree.

	FWIW, I would really like to see this as a /usr/src/Makefile option.
The problem being which elements of BIND do you not rebuild? You want
the 4.9.6 resolver libraries and includes, even if you build and use the
8.1.1 stuff for certain applications (you have to link it specifically,
it's not included in anything otherwise). The binaries like dig,
nslookup, etc. should be exempted with a -DNOBIND option, however in the
end it's easier to just rebuild 8.1.1, especially now that there is a
port.

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest