Date:      Sun, 23 Mar 1997 21:51:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        David Langford <langfod@dihelix.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cool Web page interface to mail + search engine?

On Sun, 23 Mar 1997, Amancio Hasty wrote:

> I will take a look at it again. The last time that I peek at Hypermail
> it was poorly supported. And you are right a hypermail interface
> is desperately needed so we are going to experiment with the multimedia
> mailing and will report back to the list our findings

I experimented with hypermail on the -questions archive. It worked okay,
but hypermail dumped core fairly often. Apparently, there are some patches
to make it work better. Also, I'm not sure about the licensing anymore -
I'll go and check; I also heard about a "hypermail" pro or something..

If you want to see what it looks like, try
http://vinyl.quickweb.com/mark/FreeBSD and follow the link at the bottom
of the page.

I forgot to tell it to use a fixed-width font, otherwise it's a good
setup. Now if it only worked all the time :-)

-Mark

P.S. I've tried glimpse for searching, but I found htDigg (on the site
above) better overall. It was easier to use at least. I'm also looking
into the "Lwgate" software..

> 	Tnks!
> 	Amancio
>
> >From The Desk Of "David Langford" :
> > Amancio Hasty
> > >
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >I am looking around for a cgi script or Java program to help us organize
> > >the multimedia mailing list.
> >
> > To be honest I have always thought that a hypemail interface to the FreeBSD
> > mail archives would be more usefull that the current search engine.....
> >
> > Most of the time (for me) that subjects lines are usefull enough for searches
> > and (usaually) that articels back in 1995 dont really pertain to what I had
> > been looking for even though they filter to the top.
> >
> > I thought you had looked at glipse once before? How was that?
> >
> > -David Langford
> >  langfod@dihelix.com

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@quickweb.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		   http://vinyl.quickweb.com/mark
 GCS/O d- s+ a-- C++ UB+++$ P+ L- E--- W++ N+ K- w++(---) O- M- !V PS+ PE Y++
 PGP+ t !5 X+ R- tv b++ DI+ D++ G+ e+(*) h--- r++ y+(+++)
	"Typically, I don't use JAVA -- I think that strong typing
	is for weak minds (and lazy compiler/interpreter writers)."
						-- Terry Lambert