Date:      Sun, 02 Apr 2017 11:44:56 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        DJ Regan <regantechservicesinc@gmail.com>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Current state of FreeBSD iMX6 porting efforts?

On Fri, 2017-03-31 at 09:11 -0500, DJ Regan wrote:
> According to wiki page...
>
>     https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/imx6/
>
> ...the last update of 'what works' vs 'what still needs to be done',
> was...
>
>     FreeBSD/arm/imx6 (last edited 2015-02-02 01:54:07 by IanLepore
> <https://wiki.freebsd.org/IanLepore>)
>
> ...what is the current state of iMX6 development?
>
> And, where can I start to help? :)
>
> Thanks,
> --DJ Regan

Sadly, the status now isn't all that different.  I think audio and
video work now, including HDMI.  Even though I have like a dozen imx6
boards here, I've never tried audio or video.

The imx6 things I'm most likely to focus on this year are driven by the
needs of $work:

 - IEEE-1588 / PTP
 - Better power management
 - imx6ul support

On a personal level, I've thought about buying an imx6qp board and see
if the 'quad-plus' enhancements noticibly speed up anything except the
graphics processors we don't support.

What doesn't work that you'd like to see working?  That's probably the
best place to start with helping, but sometimes even just asking for
something gets surprising results.  For example I think we lack a SPI
driver, and that's the kind of thing someone might spend a few days
writing if there were a request for it.

-- Ian