Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 1995 13:40:53 +0200
From:      pgr95@ciunix.uc.pt
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org

Hello.

  I am from University of Coimbra and I've just got Free BSD package to install in my computar at home but I've had some problems. I have a 386 DX (40 MHz) computer (4 MegaBytes - RAM) with a Maxtor hard disk and a Super I/O card. My computer doesn't have a numeric coprocessor (I don't if it is necessary). I tried to install FreeBSD from floppies but the first menu didn't even apeared nor i could get into the configuration prompt. At the boot process the computer always stop at the following point:

     Text=0x100000 data=0x0 bss=0xa00 Symbols=[0x600+0x4+0x258+0x4+0x1d9]

     Total=0x40139 entry point=0x300000

After this message the light drive stays always on but the computer no longer reads the boot floppy drive and the keyboard doesn't even receive my keystrokes, so I have to power off the computer.

  I would like to know if I have to get a better computer to run FreeBSD or can I do it with this one and what is the problem I am having.

  In the manual handbook says that we should get a bootmanger if we are going to have msdos in one partion and BSD in another but I can't find it. Could you tell me how to get it?

  Many thanks.

  I hope hearing from you soon.

                Paulo.

* Paulo Rodrigues              *