Date:      Sun, 03 Aug 1997 12:00:37 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Make this a relese coordinator decision (was Re: ports-current/packages-current discontinued)

>  * Figure out, if ports are only made for stable ... If -current
>  * does more and more incompatible changes to -stable ... Who
>  * should done the fine work of porting perhaps 1250 ports
>  * to -current, which will become 3.0-RELEASE and 3.0-STABLE after
>  * that ???
>
> That is a very good point, one that I should have mentioned in my
> first post.

That would be done during the lengthy BETA period, or perhaps sometime
before that even starts.

Again, to reference my previous posting on this, trying to track
-current on an ongoing basis is just SILLY and it's only bound to get
sillier as -current moves faster and faster.

To make a poor analogy, if I've missed a train at the station do I run
after the thing like a fool, yelling for the next 15 miles that it
stop, or do I walk back to my car and drive to the next station in
order to await the train's arrival there?  I don't think that is a
difficult question to answer, and similarly I see no point in trying
to track -current as an ongoing thing.  I'm not saving *any* work by
doing so, I'm simply ensuring that each and every bump in the road is
something I'm going to hit.

By waiting until -current has gone through whatever unheavals we have
planned for it and *then* going through the ports collection to see
which ports are still relevant and which have build problems in
whatever brave new world we've built, that strikes me as a far more
sensible policy and one which will not leave the ports team stuck in
some insane asylum once we start seriously beating the crap out of
-current and shuffling the components around into new configurations.

To put it another way, if something as minor as a new version of TCL
going in screws up the ports collection this badly then we've already
established that it's a frail mechanism in the face of changes in the
base OS and we should no longer try and bend that mechanism to such an
extent.  TCL is just the tip of the iceberg where changes to -current
are concerned, and trying to track multiple architectures (each of
which needing its own package collection and potentially some ports
changes) is only going to add to the misery.  Let's stop trying to
chase the moving train here, folks - Satoshi's decision was absolutely
the right thing to do, even if for the "wrong" reasons! ;-)

					Jordan