Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 2000 02:26:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jeff Duffy <jeff@alanne.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Signal 4 while compiling 4.1.1

On Sun, 1 Oct 2000, Mike Smith wrote:

>> I just compiled Gimp on the same system without any hitches.  Other
>> programs as well.  I also ran memory tests and verified the
>> motherboard's temperature via the BIOS and visually checked the fans.

 In response, I have checked as well. All three of my case fans and my
huge-block-o-heatsink CPU fan are operating properly. Just to check, I
compiled Apache, Postgres, and a fair number of GTK apps. Flawlessly.

>> It's my belief that within the last three weeks new code was inserted
>> into STABLE that was never fully tested to compile on an AMD CPU.

 Hmmm. I'm not here to point fingers, I just want a BSD UNIX to
use. One I can compile, anyway.

>> We now have another user who has posted a similar if not identical
>> problem while compiling 4.1.1 using an AMD processor.  This is starting
>> to look like a coding problem.

>To paraphrase Babbage:
>
> "I an not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that
>  could provoke such a conclusion."

 This sounds to me like "nope, you have malfunctioning hardware". I'm not
saying that's impossible, but I think it unlikely given that I can
reproduce the problem fairly well, and I've certainly tried to take all
the steps necessary to rule that out.

 Are there any committers running -stable on AMD K6 boxes? If so, has
someone been able to buildworld for 4.1.1 successfully? Do I have any
alternatives left other than procuring new hardware or living with the
fact that I will not be able to run FreeBSD 4.1.1-STABLE?

 Jeff Duffy
 jeff@alanne.com