Date:      Thu, 5 Sep 2002 11:10:44 -0500
From:      "Schroeder, Aaron" <Aaron.Schroeder@qg.com>
To:        "'freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org>
Subject:   MT possibly broken?

Hello all,

I have a PWS500au running 4.6-STABLE with a DEC TZL09 DAT tape drive. I was
seeing some problems with this drive when it was hooked onto the same SCSI
chain as my hard drives, actually, I saw problems when it was hooked up to
the same Qlogic card. I was getting I/O errors when trying to write to and
erase tapes. I was using 'mt' at first, then I installed flexbackup from
ports. Flexbackup uses 'mt' commands, so that did not work for me as well.

So, I installed a SymBios PCI SCSI card into my machine and hung the tape
drive off of it, by itself. I ran through the same procedures as above, I
used 'mt' to rewind and erase tapes, rather 'mt' attempted to erase the
tapes, I still got I/O errors. Flexbackup, again, was the same story.

So, I read up on the 'dump' and 'restore' utilities and decided to try those
out. I did a 'dump' of my /home folder and it said that it successfully
dumped to tape! Interesting, so I tried to use 'restore' to see if 'dump'
did what it said it did. So, I see that I have my /home folder on the tape,
I select a couple files to extract the from tape, again, it worked! I am
just happy that I can back up my system at this point.

So, just to confirm, I ran 'mt -f /dev/sa0 erase' and I received a I/O
error. Unless I am doing something wrong, it seems to me that 'mt' may have
an issue. Be it either that it is broken, or it doesn't like my tape drive
and dump does.

I do have a TZ89 DLT drive that I can try as well, if anyone thinks that is
needed.

Thanks,

AJ Schroeder