Date:      Sat, 9 Sep 2000 19:16:29 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
Cc:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>, FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PortsNG (was Re: Ports Options Paper)

On Sat 2000-09-09 (12:04), Will Andrews wrote:
> Yes, that could work.  But what if special things need to be done in
> order to allow some options to be installed?  I.e. you can't just
> concatenate two options' modifications to the build; there has to be
> something extra to allow them to build together.

The old apache13-php3, which served as the inspiration for portconf,
allowed you to just twiddle options, and it did all the work.

> This would require something a little more complex than what you
> showed above.  But how about something like this:
>
> {
>         EXTRA_TARGET { !foo, !bar, !baz },
>         { !foo !bar, baz },
>         EXTRA_TARGET2 { !foo, bar, !baz },
>         { !foo, bar, baz },
>         { foo, bar, baz },
>         EXTRA_TARGET3 { foo, !bar, !baz },
> }
>
> or something similar, in a manner that would allow us to denote an extra
> target that needs to be performed.  But then, there's another problem.
> What if there needs to be multiple targets, performed at different
> times?  And so on..

In portconf, it created: option-{pre,post}-{extract,patch,build,install}
if the option gave that target.  This either (I was undecided, and
didn't get feedback) makes a line:

"pre-patch: option1-pre-patch option2-pre-patch"

or:

"portconf-pre-patch: option1-pre-patch option2-pre-patch"

And did the magic.  I think the first one would work fine, due to the
way make(1) works.  PKGNAME was the main problem, but that can easily be
solved with the new PKGNAME_SUFFIX stuff.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
Sunesi Clinical Systems