Date:      Thu, 29 Jul 1999 18:03:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ian Clendaniel <clendaniel@devnull.conectiv.com>
To:        Chris <chrismar@shasta.eclipse.net>
Cc:        Neil Bradley <neil@synthcom.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Yet another question - SMP!

On Thu, 29 Jul 1999, Chris wrote:

> It is my understanding that FreeBSD's SMP is better than Linux's SMP, but
> I could be wrong, as I don't run an SMP box...this is just what i've
> heard.

I've been running an SMP kernel on a Compaq ProLiant 1600 (dual 450's)
since the 3.1 release.  Haven't had a problem yet...with the exception of
a hardware setup issue with Compaq (you need to set Full-Table Mapped in
the system partition).  The machine has since been upgraded to 3.2 and
has been running two iterations of SETIathome for over a month.  I don't
know whether it's better than the Linux SMP but it's significantly faster
than when the machine had Solaris 7 x86...

--Ian