Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2001 22:29:37 +0400
From:      "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   HEADS UP: Apache port change from nobody:nogroup to www:www planned

Forwarded to -arch per Mike Barcroft request.

----- Forwarded message from "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru> -----

Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 15:58:55 +0400
From: "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To: ports@FreeBSD.ORG, developers@FreeBSD.ORG

Due to Apache mis-use of nobody:nogroup UID/GID (user nobody must not own
any file in the system), I plan switch apache to www:www instead. It
breaks some related ports and they should be fixed by their maintainers.
Moreover, it breaks existen cgi-bin-write setups too, group nogroup should
be changed to www by webmasters.

Questions are:

What is the best way to _automatically_ add www:www to
/etc/{passwd,group}?  I think about 'pw' command, but it will be nice if
somebody already have working example.

I plan to add www:www to default etc directory passwd/group too. What is
the best numerical value, if any, for www UID/GID?

Any other comments, of course, welcome.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
http://ache.pp.ru/