Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 2009 08:27:51 +0100
From:      Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze@bsdforen.de>
To:        Tom Mende <tmende@optusnet.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xorg hal dbus

Tom Mende wrote:
> Hi list;
>
> I took the upgrade to xorg 7.4 and no matter what I do, I can not get
> the any response from either the keyboard or the mouse under X, they
> work fine on the console. "The installation via portupgrade -a" removed
> the previous xorg.conf.

I find that very hard to believe.

> I took the message from Jan 24 to mean the
> problems with hal and xorg-server were fixed and hence felt safe to
> upgrade... After much deinstalling of packages and reinstalling I
> eventually got all the ports up to date. However the mouse and keyboard
> will not work. Given the hal xorg-server issues appeared not to have
> been fixed, I then tried following these instructions from Jan 23
> however I had to restore a backed up version of xorg.conf because the
> upgrade to 7.4 removed the previous one...
>
> <snip>
> 20090124:
> AFFECTS: users of x11-servers/xorg-server, sysutils/hal
> AUTHOR: rnoland@FreeBSD.org
>   sysutils/hal has been updated and should now properly detect
>   mice for use in Xorg.  Use of AllowEmptyInput should no longer
>   be needed for most users and moused should now work fine.
>
> 20090123:
>   AFFECTS: users of x11-servers/xorg-server
>   AUTHOR: rnoland@FreeBSD.org
>
>   If you are using an older xorg.conf several config lines are
>   no longer needed and will generate warnings when X is started.
>   RgbPath will cause X to fail to start, remove it from your config.
>
>   Server 1.5.3 also really wants to configure its input devices
>   via hald.  This is causing some issues with moused and
>   /dev/sysmouse.  There are a couple of options for how to deal
>   with it.
>
>   1. Add Option "AllowEmptyInput" "off" to your ServerLayout section.
>      This will cause X to use the configured kbd, mouse, and vmmouse
>      sections from your xorg.conf
>
>   2. Don't use moused.  If you want it to work with addon usb mice
>      set this in rc.conf:
>
>      moused_enable="NO"
>      moused_nondefault_enable="NO"

This is a) outdated and b) those are options. That means you do
one of them, not both.

>   I'm working on fixing hald or the mouse driver or both.
> <snip>
> After restoring my old xorg.conf and commenting out the RgbPath line, I
> added "AllowEmptyInput" "off" to the xorg.conf server layout section and
> disabled moused in rc.conf as per above.

Don't disable moused.

> Now on issuing startx I get a
> message saying the "AllowEmptyInput" line can't be parsed. Where should
> this line go?? From the context I assumed it should go into xorg.conf,
> but if not, where??

It goes into the xorg.conf. The question is just where did you put it?
This is how it looks and works on my system:

Section "ServerFlags"
	Option		"AllowEmptyInput"	"off"
EndSection