Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 09:56:56 -0500
From:      Walter Brameld <brameld@twave.net>
To:        Matthew Jonkman <jonkman@bussert.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Root login shell problem

Matthew Jonkman wrote:

> I made a typo in my root chsh to point it to /bin/bash rather than
> /usr/local/bin/bash. As a result I'm locked out of my root account. Even if
> I login as root from the console it kicks me back out to a login.
>
> I don't know much about single user mode. Will this allow me to get back in
> to change the shell?
>
> Thanks
>
> Matthew Jonkman

Single user mode: At the boot prompt, type boot -s. Hit
return to enter /bin/sh. Perform the following steps to
mount all your file systems read-write:

# fsck -p
# mount -u /
# mount -a -t ufs
# swapon -a

To quote from the FreeBSD handbook, "This checks the
filesystems, remounts / read/write, mounts all the other UFS
filesystems referenced in /etc/fstab and then turns swapping
on."

--
Walter

in·tel·lec·tu·al
n. Someone who has been educated past his/her level of
intelligence.