Date:      Thu, 05 Apr 2007 13:23:12 -0500
From:      Derek Ragona <derek@computinginnovations.com>
To:        "Jonathan Horne" <jhorne@dfwlp.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: slightly OT - my freebsd email topology

At 12:36 PM 4/5/2007, Jonathan Horne wrote:
>currently, my email server is just a single box, accepting and sending emails
>from and to the internet.  spamassassin and sendmail, and so far, it works
>satisfactory.
>
>i would like to change it up, so that i have a pair of servers doing MX
>from the
>internet, which then passes to an internal server for delivery.  if i do
>that, i
>could remove spamassassin from the internal server, and run it on just the 2
>external.  all those configurations is really not my issue here... what im
>really pondering is how would external servers that are seperate from
>where the
>target mailboxes are, know which addressess are acceptable and which to
>return a
>550?
>
>does anyone have any setups that are similar to this, and could advise me or
>point me in the right direction?
>
>thanks,
>jonathan

Generally you want to filter and bounce mail at the point of origin, so
your mail server that first accepts the mail.  As long as you have the
bandwidth on that server you would spam check, virus check there, bouncing
any bad ones.  Then forward to your internal server only clean mail for
delivery.

However unless you have terribly underpowered servers, or a lot of email
(like >50,000 messages a day) running on two servers should not be necessary.

         -Derek

believed to be clean.