Date:      Sun, 27 Jun 2004 09:33:48 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        "Thomas Moyer" <tommoyer@atlanticbb.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Shared Partitions?

"Thomas Moyer" <tommoyer@atlanticbb.net> wrote:
> I have a Fat32 partition that I use to share files between Windows and
> FreeBSD.  I have it mounted on /home and when it mounts the owner of all
> the files is root and the group is wheel.  Is there a way to change that
> so it acts like a normal home partition? In other words the individual
> directories and files are owned by the user etc.

Unfortunately, no.  This is because FAT doesn't support users and groups
(or permissions for that matter) so the mount has to have everything
owned by one user/group.  Thus it won't work as a /home partition because
each /home/<user> directory should be owned by the user.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies