Date:      Fri, 18 Jul 1997 10:00:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTC regulating use of registrations

Joel Ray Holveck wrote:

> Well, the good ol' FTC is taking a hand in the Internet now.  It
> appears that they have declared it illegal to request information on
> minors without the parent's consent.
>
> Is it just me, or do these guys
>  a) not know a blasted thing about the net, and
>  b) suffer from a case of rectocranial inversion?

   c) do whatever they think the public will accept as
      "addressing the issue" that imposes the least
      constraint on the politcally powerful.

      remember the "contract with america"?
      the easy stuff was done.  the hard stuff was defered.
      look at archer's tax bill in the house, the overwhelming
      majority of the dollar benefit goes to those with the most.
      at the same time the overwhelming number of distinct benefits
      go to those near the median income of $34K/yr.
      so the politcally powerful get their capital gains tax cut
      and archer can truefully claim that middle-income america
      is the beneficiary.

      they aint stupid
      they aint that ill-informed
      they are cynical.
      the first question asked anyone running for office
      is "can you get the money?"

      <time to go brush my teeth, get rid of the awful taste>
jmb