Date:      Wed, 8 Aug 2001 15:32:30 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        tlambert2@mindspring.com, j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How did the MSFT monopoly start?

On Tuesday,  7 August 2001 at 15:23:16 -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> At 01:29 AM 8/7/2001, Terry Lambert wrote:
>
>> IBM attempted several times to contact Digital Research
>> about licensing CP/M, but they never returned IBM's calls,
>
> Actually, they did. In fact, IBM came to visit. But DRI
> founder Gary Killdall left his significant other in
> charge that day.... She freaked out about signing the
> NDAs regarding IBM's PC business and sent them away.

That's the first time I've heard that version.  The one I heard was
that Gary didn't want to meet them and went out flying.

Does anybody know when this was?  I was at a conference in London in
early September 1980, and Gary and Bill Gates ("who?" I asked; I knew
very well who Gary was) were supposed to be there, Bill to talk about
the new Microsoft Operating System, XENIX (I kid you not).  Bill did a
no-show, apparently because of some urgent business, but Gary showed
up.

>> and then their founder died.
>
> Many years after that. It happened in 1979, and Kildall
> died in 1995. He died relatively young, at 52. From
> complications following a fight in a bar.

Again, the first time I have heard that version.  I heard he fell down
the stairs.  Any background?

> "I may have invented it, but Microsoft made it popular."
>
>                 --IBM engineer David Bradley, inventor
>                   of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete key sequence

Note that the reboot sequence for CP/M was simply ^C.  "Inventing"
Ctrl-Alt-Del was simply a matter of finding a new mapping for the
function.

Greg