Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 14:38:41 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
To:        Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc:        Joe & Fhe Barbish <barbish@a1poweruser.com>, FBSDQ <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Periodic mails

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Jan Grant wrote:

----------> Thanks for your reply!

> On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Joe & Fhe Barbish wrote:
>
> > The connection attempt message you see in your /var/log/messages is
> > generated by the log-in-vain rc.conf option because you do not have
> > software listening on port 25 the pop3 server front door.
> > Do you have qpopper installed?
>
> Eh? Port 25 is for SMTP, not POP.
>
> > Do nslookup 192.168.0.5 to see what that ip address is.
>
> The address given is a nonrouable local address; potentially the
> address attached to an internal NIC.

Yep, but my periodic mail should be send to localhost, so the address
do not have to be routable. On the other hand it is strange it tries
to send the mail via my firewall computer.

> There are now four (count 'em!) sendmail switches that can be used in
> /etc/rc.conf - see your updated /etc/default/rc.conf for details. This
> was discussed in freebsd-stable when the changeover happened, so you may
> find more information there. Anyhoo, they are:

Am not subscribed to freebsd-stable. It's hard to just keep up with
freebsd-questions. :-)

> sendmail_enable="YES"   # Run the sendmail inbound daemon (YES/NO/NONE).
>                         # If NONE, don't start any sendmail processes.
> sendmail_submit_enable="YES"    # Start a localhost-only MTA for mail
>                                   submission
> sendmail_outbound_enable="YES"  # Dequeue stuck mail (YES/NO).
> sendmail_msp_queue_enable="YES" # Dequeue stuck clientmqueue mail (YES/NO).
>
> You probably want NO, YES, YES, YES, respectively.

This setup, does it permit mails only from and to the localhost?
I want my computer to be totally closed to the outside when it
comes to mail. Only internal mail on the same machine should be
allowed.

Best regards,
Paul