Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 16:24:07 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        fergus <tofergus@yahoo.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: md tmp

fergus <tofergus@yahoo.co.uk> types:
> was thinking about setting tmp as a memory backed filesystem - seems
> pretty standard but i couldn't find any FAQ on it.
>
> anyone running this ?  ( guess that's pretty stupid question )

Yes, but I recommend using mfs instead of md.

> but if so - how do you get tmp mounted early enough since i guess you
> have to 'dd' the size at boot time to create it ?

Not if you use mfs instead of md. For that, you just put the
appropriate entry in /etc/fstab.

> is there a standard way to do this or do i just have to write this into
> rc scripts before anything that needs it ?

There's no knob to set in rc.conf, if that's what you want. You can
look at rc.diskless1 for one way of mounting it, and the md man page
for a sequence to create it.

> if so, anyone done it ?  will 'rc.d' script & force mount over tmp do
> the job ?  or do we need to get in earlier ?

It looks like everything should work fine if you put it in
/etc/rc.local - except vi recovery files. You'll have to put it in
/etc/rc if you need that to work.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.