Date:      Mon, 28 Jun 1999 01:14:26 +0900
From:      Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@sky.rim.or.jp>
To:        Nik Clayton <nclayton@lehman.com>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org, freebsd-translate@ngo.org.uk, jdp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Resolution:  FDP reorganisation

Nik Clayton wrote:
> The first is the record that <foo@bar> has submitted changes to the
> The second is tieing <foo@bar> to a specific piece of translation.  If
> Note that it's not impossible.  I am prepared to take a local copy of the
> CVS tree, generates diffs for *every single version* of the translated
> documentation, and then recommit it with the original commit message,
> including the "Submitted by" line.

OK.  But my main question is whether it is worth to spent much time of
you and jdp or not.

As Horikawa-san said, doc/ja/man directory needs special care for tags.
doc/ja/man should be able to check out with release_3_2_0.  But when
check out doc directory with release_3_2_0 tag, it should not contain
doc/ja_JP.EUC/man contents.  I think this can solve to go old repository
to doc/ja/man/*/Attic but this needs more careful CVS repository
operation.

> Suppose that we only had Japanese in there, in a "doc/ja" directory,
> encoded with eucJP.  In that directory is a Makefile, supporting the
> standard targets (all, install, clean, etc).
>
> Everything works fine.  This is pretty much what we have now.
>
> Suppose you want to provide hooks to let the admin automatically convert
> the docs from eucJP to SJIS.  As Satoshi points out, we have tools in
> the ports tree that can do this.
>
> How do you do it?
>
> Well, the simplest approach is probably to patch the Makefile.  Add a new
> variable (perhaps called ${ENCODING}, or something like that) that holds
> the default encoding.  And add a test in the Makefile that says something
> like "If ${ENCODING} is 'SJIS' then run the docs through the encoding
> converter first, and then convert them to HTML or whatever".
>
> Nice and simple.  But also wrong.  The interface exposed by the Makefile
> has changed.  Instead of just being able to do "make install" you now have
> this ${ENCODING} variable which you might need to set.

At this point, I think you are right.  We have dirty hack only to solve
this situation.

But I think no sysadmins need two encoded documents at the same time.

--
Jun Kuriyama // kuriyama@sky.rim.or.jp
            // kuriyama@FreeBSD.ORG