Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 2000 10:28:13 +0530
From:      Chirag Kantharia <chyrag-at-slashetc-dot-net@slashetc.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   hdd problem

Hello!

I've been using 4.1.1-RELEASE on my machine. Lately, my hard disk starts
whirring noisily for a period ranging from 3 to 15 secs during which the
hdd led shines very bright and the machine *almost* stops responding. A
few secs later, everything comes back to normal and the following
appears in /var/log/messages:

Oct 19 10:23:10 mercury /kernel: ad0: WRITE command timeout - resetting
Oct 19 10:23:10 mercury /kernel: ata0: resetting devices ..  device dissapeared! 1 ata0-master: timeout waiting to give command=c6 s=80 e=00
Oct 19 10:23:10 mercury /kernel: done

Any ideas, as to what is happening? Or just a coupla loose connections?

chyrag.
--
Chirag Kantharia <chyrag-at-slashetc-dot-net> http://slashetc.net/chyrag/