Date:      Sun, 20 Feb 2000 19:01:42 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <freebsd@sasknow.com>
To:        John Purser <johnmpurser@home.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stopping xdm

On Sun, 20 Feb 2000, John Purser wrote:

> I just set up X-windows using sysinstall.  After exiting from sysinstall I
> entered "xdm" at the prompt and a window came up with a sign in prompt.  I
> signed in as root, hit return, and got another sign in prompt.  If I enter a
> user's name I can sign on but then all I can do is exit, which brings me
> back to another sign in prompt.
>
> I can't get to any of my virtual terminals and all Ctrl-Alt-Backspace does
> is restart X which brings up the same sign on window.
>
> How do I get out of this?
>
> John Purser

Switch to vty0 with Ctrl-Alt-F1, login as root, and kill the xdm process.
(killall xdm, or killall -9 xdm)

Then, to fix your original problem, make sure that each user has an
executable .xsession file in their home directory. (Man xdm for details on
creating these files).  Without .xsession, users will see a very bland twm
(built in window manager) desktop that, by itself, isn't very functional.
I recommend installing another desktop manager or two from ports, such as
KDE, WindowMaker, AfterStep, Enlightenment, etc...

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>	50% Owner, Sysadmin
  SaskNow Technologies     		http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   		Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2