Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 2008 04:17:41 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Michael Powell <nightrecon@verizon.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Breach of Contract Reported for FREEBSD.ORG

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 07:15:35AM -0400, Michael Powell wrote:
> David G Lawrence wrote:
>
> >> Dear Customer,
> >>
> >> It has been brought to our attention that some or all of the information
> >> associated with your domain name FREEBSD.ORG is outdated or incorrect.
> >> These types of complaints are brought to our attention in one of two
> >> ways.
> >>
> >> The most common type of complaint is received from the Internet
> >> Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN). ICANN is the
> >> non-profit corporation responsible for accrediting domain name
> >> registrars. ICANN requires domain name registration customers to keep
> >> their account information current. ICANN mandates that outdated contact
> >> information can be grounds for domain name cancellation.
> >
> > Michelle,
> >
> >    The registration information for freebsd.org is correct. The only thing
> > that is out of date is one of the email addresses (dg@root.com), which I
> > have tried to change, but have been unable to due to a problem with the
> > Network Solutions website.
> >    I don't know who reported that the information was incorrect, but they
> > are mistaken. I will additionally follow up in the other ways mentioned
> > in your message.
> >
> [snip]
>
> ICANN requires registrars to verify the domain info once a year. I just went
> through this with GoDaddy. I think the registrars see this as an
> opportunity to market services. Different registrars bungle their marketing
> effort in different ways. GoDaddy sent me instructions on what to do in
> order to correct errors, but had absolutely nothing on how to proceed if
> the information was correct. So I viewed this as something they could take
> advantage of in order to get me to their site for a "hard sell" campaign.

So how do you folks who comply with ICANN's requirement deal with this?
http://blog.forret.com/2004/12/domain-registry-of-america-scam/ -- This
organisation is now known as "Domain Renewal Group", by the way.

I'm quite interested in knowing; it might be tolerable if you've only
one domain, but if you're a hosting provider and have 100?

Let me know.