Date:      Sun, 7 May 2006 20:16:42 +0100
From:      Chris <chrcoluk@gmail.com>
To:        "Scott Long" <scottl@samsco.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, pjd@freebsd.org, linimon@freebsd.org, Mike Jakubik <mikej@rogers.com>, kris@freebsd.org, rwatson@freebsd.org, Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
Subject:   Re: quota deadlock on 6.1-RC1

On 07/05/06, Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org> wrote:
> Chris wrote:

> >> I'm sorry, but the former statement proves the latter false.
> >>
> >> Let's try to do our Semi-Annual Refresher Course On Open Source
> >> Development:
> >>
> >> The developers (at least 99% of them) work for free.  In their own spa=
re
> >> time.  Their motivations vary but I don't believe any of those include
> >> being in a position to feel they need to respond to demands.  That's n=
ot
> >> a positive motivator.  If they wanted to be in that position, they cou=
ld
> >> just stay at their $realjobs for those extra hours.
> >>
> >> Part of their shared goals, however, is to turn out the best system th=
at
> >> they possibly can, in the hopes that people will find it useful and wa=
nt
> >> to contribute back to it.  However, there are no guarantees involved,
> >> implicit or explicit.  (If you want to compare and contrast to how muc=
> >> "guarantee" you get from closed-source development, please pull out a
> >> copy
> >> of your EULA.  They barely even "guarantee" that there are bits on the
> >> CD.)
> >>
> >> There's a long process where the developers try to agree on what featu=
res
> >> need to be included and what bugs need to be fixed.  From the standpoi=
nt
> >> of the people who attempt to coordinate this process, in technical jar=
gon
> >> the process is know as "herding cats".  I would be able to serve as an
> >> expert witness in court about this.  (Side note: some of the cats hiss=
,
> >> bite, and scratch; very few, if any, have _any_ interest in being
> >> herder.)
> >>
> >> There are always tradeoffs between stability and features.  During the
> >> 5.X cycle we managed in some degree to de-optimize both: we had featur=
es
> >> that were only available in an "experimental" branch that some people
> >> considered critical (wireless, anyone?) while that "experimental" bran=
ch
> >> was unsuitable for production use.  The idea was that we would hold on
> >> to declaring 5.X "STABLE" until all the major bugs were fixed.
> >>
> >> And as a consequence, we didn't release for -- what, 2 years?
> >>
> >> So we've thrown out the idea of "wait until every possible bug is fixe=
d."
> >> It leads to rare releases, and larger code chaos, larger instability, =
and
> >> allows FreeBSD's detractors to sniff "well, they're never going to
> >> release
> >> anything again."  (Notice how the "BSD is dying" crowd on Slashdot has
> >> been a lot quieter since we released 6.0?)
> >>
> >> So now what we're doing is trying to come up with more regular (not on
> [...]

Wow I generated some responses. my comments I think were too strong
and harsh but I will respond.

GNATS didnt reply so I will send the info about email address I used
and see if I can find the pr number as well.

One issue was a dicussion on here which already had a PR so I didnt
post a seperate PR for it that was the bge issue.

I dont have servers with massive uptimes at the cost of security, if
something has a patch that will pose a risk to me I will schedule the
necessary maintenance on that server I dont immediatly apply it tho
since I cant be rebooting servers every week.  I was reffering more to
making sure everything carries on running on the server after the
upgrade.  But you are right in that I dont upgrade every version
anyway, I will have to on my 5.4 server's to 5.5 since 5.4 is EOL end
of may.  I will put all my 6.0 to 6.1 for stability reasons and
hopefully after then I can wait till 6.3 like you said.

The java I picked up from a newsletter about the licensing changes,
obviously I misread it if my information is incorrect I apologise for
that.

Chris