Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 11:11:48 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        lucien.meyers@zurich.ch
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Asus CD-S500 (50x) ATAPI CD-ROM Drive

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000 10:02:16 +0200, lucien.meyers@zurich.ch wrote:

> Replaced my defective CD-ROM drive with the above. FreeBSD 3.4 CD
> boots perfectly from the drive, but alas the rest of the installation
> fails because the drive is not found (not supported).

Make sure that the drive is either configured as a slave to an existing
master on the same channel, or that it's the master (and only drive) on
a channel.

If it still doesn't work (and you're convinced that you don't have a
faulty or too-long cable), you might want to try 4.0-RELEASE, which
sports a new ata driver.  The driver's author says he's had good reports
from owners of ASUS CDROM drives with this driver.

Ciao,
Sheldon.