Date:      Thu, 21 Jan 1999 02:53:43 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mark <markm@online.dct.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   problems with natd

Hey all --

I've been trying to get natd working now for the last two days, with
absolutely NO success.  I've got a few printouts here, from the FreeBSD
Diary, and other places (including the natd man page), but nothings seems to
work.  Here's my setup:

kernel has IPFIREWALL and IPDIVERT enabled.

in rc.conf, firewall_enable is set to YES, as well as gateway_enable

/etc/rc.firewall:
-----------------
/sbin/ipfw -f flush
/sbin/ipfw add divert natd all from any to any via xl0
/sbin/ipfw add pass all from any to any

since my box has two NICs, xl0 and xl1, my cable modem (using dhcp) is on
xl0. my internal network is on xl1.  in rc.local, I have these lines:
dhclient xl0
ifconfig xl1 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 up
natd -log -dynamic -interface xl0

so pretty much according to everything I've read, I should be set to go.
when the machine comes up, dhclient gets run, and the external network gets
hooked up.  then the internal one goes up, and natd is run with the above
flags.

Except that when I then log in, I can't access anything.  my other machine on
the network is unreachable, and trying anything on the net is a failure.
Yet, I can take out the firellwall and gateway stuff, not start natd, and
change the kernel back to one without IPDIVERT and such, and my networks run
great.

What exactly am I missing?  I've been banging my head on the wall for the
last 2 days...

Thanks,

--
Mark Maurer   markm@dct.com    Programmer,  DCT Technologies