Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2001 23:10:34 +0200 (EET)
From:      Taavi Talvik <taavi@uninet.ee>
To:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
Cc:        Valentino Vaschetto <logo@osd.bsdi.com>, Kaltashkin Eugene <zhecka@klondike.ru>, freebsd-hubs@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@osd.bsdi.com
Subject:   Re: Mirrors

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Will Andrews wrote:

> Part of the problem is that doing mirroring like this has to be done in
> a special manner since just offering ftpd access doesn't work.  Rsync
> (or, even better, cvsup) would be a much better way to do mirrors.  Of
> course most people already know that, it's just that FreeBSD.org's ftp
> mirrors simply don't do it this way yet.  Methinks that the ftp mirrors
> should take the architecture that John Polstra setup for cvsup.  :-)

Just plain ftp mirroring definitely does not work.  However, just going to
cvsup is also not solution. Today ftp mirror site maintainer must do
quite lot of manual maintenance (unless he has infinite bandwidth
available) - trying to fugure out main ftp site structure, how often files
change there and adjusting crontabs/mirror configurations.

Probably we need someone to write down "guidelines" how freebsd ftp sites
are organized. And thereafter create some kind of packages (or collections
in cvsup terms) structure.

Separate packages/collections:
	for supporting network installs of base system (minimum).
	for providing pre compiled (port)packages
	for security updates
	for distfiles
	for tools
	for local-dists?
	for development snapshots?

Then mirror site can keep themselves up to date, according to their
policy/possibilities.

best regards,
taavi (trying to maintain ftp.ee.freebsd.org).