Date:      Wed, 7 Jan 2004 06:23:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dan Strick <strick@covad.net>
To:        tommoyer@charter.net
Cc:        dan@mist.nodomain
Subject:   Re: 5.2-RC Install Issue

On Wednesday, January 07, Thomas Moyer (?) wrote:

> When I try to boot the install CD I get a huge list of error messages
> before it even gets to sysinstall.
>
> ata2-master: WARNING - SETFEATURES recovered from missing interrupt
> ata2-master: WARNING - SETFEATURES recovered from missing interrupt
> ad4: WARNING - SETFEATURES recovered from missing interrupt
>
> Then the computer locks up completely and I have to power it off I've
> tried both with and without ACPI enabled and also tried the FTP install
> but that fails as well.

Is ata-2 a motherboard controller?
If so, what motherboard are you using?
Do you know which cpu support chipset it uses?
Which brand of BIOS does it use?
Do you know the BIOS release number?

My experience with 5.2-RC2 is similar to yours.  I get a huge number of
similar error messages if I boot 5.2-RC2 with ACPI disabled but there
seems to be no problem if I do a normal boot.

Perhaps you should take this problem to the freebsd-current mailing
list where more people working on 5.2-RCx would see your postings.
I gather that the people who might be in a position to fix this
problem do not fully understand exactly which ata controllers have
the problem.

Dan Strick
strick@covad.net