Date:      Wed, 22 Dec 2004 07:50:18 -0600
From:      Joshua Lokken <joshua.lokken@gmail.com>
To:        J65nko BSD <j65nko@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Desperate for Help

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 02:47:19 +0100, J65nko BSD <j65nko@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:24:02 -0500, alfredo perez
> <alfredoj69@nerdshack.com> wrote:
> > Heloo list
> >
> > I have been trying to set up my FreeBSD 5.3 to get my emails with no
> > results. I have installed and set up Mutt, Ssmtp and Fetchmail. None of
> > them are working properly. I have no idea where to start first. I have
> > already read the man pages and followed several how-tos I found on the
> > internet but no results. I was wondering if any of you know of a web
> > site with steps that I can follow to sep up my Mutt, fetchmail and
> > ssmtp. I dont want to give up on this!!!
> >
> > THANKS
>
> Start with fetchmail. You need a ".fetchmailrc" file in your home
> directory. Some examples
>
> poll pop.domain2.com  protocol POP3 timeout 60 no dns
>    user "loginname" password 'poppassword' is homedirowner here,
>    options fetchall fetchlimit 0
>
> poll pop3.domain.com protocol POP3
>    user "loginname@domain.com" password "poppasswd" is homedirowner here,
>    options fetchall
>
> As you can see some ISP's require only your login name, others require
> "loginname@domain.com". You can run "fetchmail -v" to see where you
> get stuck.
>
> This is an example for googles gmail, using SSL
>
> poll pop.gmail.com protocol POP3  timeout 60 no dns
>       user "gmailname" password "gmailpassword" ssl  is homdirowner here,
>       options fetchall fetchlimit 0
>
> If you are new to all this MTA, MUA and SMTP thing, you could consider
> to use Pine. mutt is nice but as a beginner Pine is probably easier to
> understand and configure than mutt.

Ah!  If you want to learn to use Mutt, learn to use Mutt.  Now that
you've got an idea of how to setup fetchmail, you'll want to create
a ~/.muttrc file.  There are many, many sample .muttrc files online;
Google is your friend.  This is the example I worked from when
I first setup Mutt:

http://www.hserus.net/muttrc.html

All I had to do to get Mutt working with ssmtp was to tell Mutt to
use ssmtp in ~/.muttrc

set sendmail="/path/to/ssmtp"

HTH,
--