Date:      Thu, 2 Apr 1998 11:21:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Christoph Sold <christoph.sold@pk.she.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Warning: 3936 sector in last cylinder unallocated (2.2.5)

On Thu, 2 Apr 1998, Christoph Sold wrote:

> While installing FBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE from the walnut Creek CDROMs onto my
> new hd, I noticed some problems inside the installation process. Since
> those are completely unrelated, I'll post a few messages. Apologies for the
> inconvenience.

> 3 partitions:
> #       size  offset   fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
>   c: 4124736       0   unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 340)
> -------
> Ummm, why's there only one partition shown?

Compatibility slices aren't supported anymore -- note disk type `unknown'.

> 8 partitions:
> #       size  offset   fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
>   a:   65535       0   4.2BSD        0     0     0   # (Cyl.    0 - 4*)
>   b:  151456   65535     swap                        # (Cyl.    4*- 13*)
>   c: 4124736       0   unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0*- 256*)
> =====>>                ^^^^^^ what? Unused space on my precious new HD? <<=====

This is normal -- partition c represents the entire slice.  It's a `magic
entry'.

> During installation of wd2 (which is a little bit bigger than 2GB), I got
> the warning:
> "Warning: 3936 sector in last cylinder unallocated (2.2.5)"
> Why?

You selected a compatibility partition table during sysinstall.  For
cylinder alignment some sectors had to be left out so the table comes out
right.  Not that disk space is at a premium these days. :)