Date:      Sun, 28 Jan 2001 14:55:57 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        rene@xs4all.nl
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installkernel fails on a 4.2-stable system

rene@xs4all.nl wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I've ended my upgrade blues radically by simply using new and larger than
> 'auto' filesystems and installing a 4.2-stable world plus 4.2-stable
> GENERIC kernel.
>
> Now, I ofcourse wanna tune my kernel to my hardware, and have adapted
> GENERIC by commenting out the devices and options I won't use.
>
> Building succeeds using /usr/src:make installkernel KERNEL=<my kernel
> file>, but installing fails with:
>
> mv: rename /kernel to kernel.old: Operation not permitted
>
> While I'm running this as root, ofcourse.
>
> The 3.x system never nagged my about this. And even the 'hybrid'
> 4.x-system that I had for a while didn't. So why does it now? ;-)

You didn't pay attention to the side effects of the security options.
When you let it setup your system for anything other than low, you
have to be in single user mode or you receive this "Operation not
permitted" message. The other choice is turn off security in rc.conf
and build everything and then set it back. The parameter is
kern_securelevel="-1".

Kent

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA