Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 10:09:42 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Robert Nesius" <nesius@europa.com>
Subject:   Re: Mouse

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998 23:30:21 -0800, Robert Nesius wrote:

>Details:
>P133 with DB9 serial port interface for mouse.
>The mouse: Logitech 3-button mouse with ps/2 bus connector attached
>           to the DB9 port using an adapter.
>The OS: FreeBSD 2.2.6.
>
>Problem - mouse not recognized by X server.  Can't get cursor to move
>          during XF86Setup.
>
>What I've tried:
>I would like to use moused.  I've configured moused to point at
>/dev/cuaa0, and have linked /dev/mouse to /dev/sysmouse.  I've
>specified the moused_protocol in rc.conf to be many things,
>including ps/2, logitech, busmouse, mouseman, etc...  With
>ps/2 as the protocol, moused complains about a "-t" option.
>I have specified NO options in the rc.conf file in the moused
>options area.  I /have/ insured that ps2 driver support has been
>built into the kernel.  With 'logitech' specified as the protocol,
>moused seems to come up cleanly, although I really don't know how
>to confirm if moused has attached to a device and recognized it
>as a mouse.
>
>In XF86Setup, I have tried to specify the protocol as just about
>every possibility available, with the device either being /dev/cuaa0
>(probably not the right thing to do with moused running), or as
>/dev/mouse.  Also, I've tried several combinations of options without
>moused.  For some reason, I just can't get the cursor to move
>after hitting the "Apply" button.
>
>At this point I'm wondering if:
>a) Anyone else has tried to get a logitech mouse with a DB9 adapter running
>   under this version of 2.2.6.
>b) If anyone knows if the adapter is forcing the logitech mouse to look like
>   an ordinary serial mouse, or a real ps/2 mouse, or logitech mouse, or
>   what?
>c) How can I confirm that moused really found a device to talk to?
>d) How can I confirm that cuaa0 is really the device to point moused at?

First, I'm pretty sure that you should be selecting plain vanilla
serial mouse.  Use /stand/sysinstall and go to the Configure screen and
select Mouse.  The Mouse menu allows you to select the Type, select
Microsoft (early Logitech WEREN'T Microsuk compatible, but recent
(within last 3 or 4 years?) ones are).  Select a Port if you need to
(you probably already set it).  Select Enable to test it.  If it works,
moused is configured correctly.  DO NOT DISABLE before you leave this
menu!!  Just exit and check/configure X to see it.

Try this and get back to us...

BTW, when you are *testing* the mouse and it tells you to see if it
moves, the buttons don't work so you can't *click* on Yes.

If you use
ps -ax | grep mouse
at a command prompt, you'll see the moused process.
Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.