Date:      Sun, 17 Oct 1999 18:08:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Squires <msquires@sir-alan.chem.indiana.edu>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        mikes@sir-alan.chem.indiana.edu (Mike Squires)
Subject:   MARS_NWE setup that works for me

The following setup is working for me, so far:

I discovered that nwserv has to be shut down before rebooting, or the
installation is trashed.  To do this I wrote the following crude
startup script, /usr/local/etc/rc.d/nwserv.sh.  It writes a pid file
for nwserv and IPXrouted in /var/run, and uses them to shut down
nwserv/IPXrouted.

I am using the stock 3.3-RELEASE IPXrouted with no apparent ill effects.

Speed is OK, 700K/sec with old 2GB narrow SCSI disks.

I have several unused NW 3.12 licenses and have copied the appropriate
files to SYS:LOGIN and SYS:PUBLIC.  The only problem I've found is that
SYSCON can't handle a separate volume so I've used a symlink to add the
second disk underneath the SYS mount point.

I've run several large copies with CRC error checking (4GB total) and there
have been no errors.

-----nwserv.sh-------
#!/bin/sh
pidfiledir=/var/run
nwserv=/usr/local/sbin/nwserv

# start
if [ "x$1" = "x" -o "x$1" = "xstart" ]; then

		if [ -f $nwserv ]; then

		echo -n 'ifconfig for NetWare'
		ifconfig fxp0 ipx 814f8800
		ifconfig lo0 ipx 0x814f85f2.1

		sleep 5

		echo -n 'IPXrouted -s'
		/usr/sbin/IPXrouted -s

		sleep 5

		echo -n 'nwserv'
		/usr/local/sbin/nwserv

		ps ax | grep \/usr\/local\/sbin\/nwserv | head -n 1 | sed -f /etc/scripts/bin/bltocolon.sed | cut -f1 -d: > $pidfiledir/nwserv.pid

		ps ax | grep \/usr\/sbin\/IPX | head -n 1 | sed -f /etc/scripts/bin/bltocolon.sed | cut -f1 -d: > $pidfiledir/IPX.pid

	fi
# stop
elif [ "x$1" = "xstop" ]; then
	echo -n "mars_nwe shutting down"
	kill `cat $pidfiledir/nwserv.pid`

	sleep 10
	rm $pidfiledir/nwserv.pid

	kill `cat $pidfiledir/IPX.pid`
	sleep 5
	rm $pidfiledir/IPX.pid
fi
----end of nwserv.conf-------

The nwserv.conf file is as follows:

----/usr/local/etc/nwserv.conf----------------------------------------
1       SYS             /usr/local/SYS/                kt   711 600
2       SILVERT         # name of the server would be "SILVERT"
3       0x814f85f2   1	# IP in hex
4   0x814f8800    eth0    ethernet_ii  1	# IPX network number
5       0x0
6       2   0x0
7       0
8       0x0
9 0751  0640
10      65534
11      65534
12  SUPERVISOR     root      <password string)
13  BCROUCH        bcrouch   <passowrd string>
13  JWALLEN        jwallen   <passowrd string>
13  MIKES          mikes     <passowrd string>
15   0     <password string>
16      1
17       0x0
18       0x0
#	The following has not been tested; lpr -P chemiso prints to an lpd host
21      CHEMISO  -  /usr/bin/lpr -P chemiso
40  /var/spool/nwserv/.volcache
41  /var/spool/nwserv/.locks
42  /var/spool/nwserv
45  /var/nwserv/db
47  /var/nwserv/trustees

100     0               # debug IPX KERNEL (0 | 1)
101     1               # debug NWSERV
102     0               # debug NCPSERV
103     0               # debug NWCONN
104     0               # debug (start) NWCLIENT, should *always* be '0' !
105     0               # debug NWBIND
106     1               # debug NWROUTED

200     1               # 0 = no logfile and dont daemonize nwserv/nwrouted
                        # 1 = daemonize nwserv/nwrouted and use logfile
201     /var/log/nw.log # filename of logfile

210     10              # 1 .. 600  (default 10) seconds after server
                        # really goes down after a down command
211     60              # 10 .. 600 (default 60) broadcasts every x seconds

300     1               # > 0 print routing info to file every x broadcasts.
301     /var/log/nw.routes #  filename of logfile

302     0x1             # flags will be interpreted as hex value.

310     7               # send wdog's only to device net < x ticks.

400  /etc/nwserv.stations  # for syntax see file in the examples directory.

401     2       # 0 = ignore entry 400, get nearest response always enabled.
                # 1 = 400 are excludes, get nearest response normally enabled.
                # 2 = 400 are includes, get nearest response normally disabled.

402     0       # 0 = ignore entry 400, create connection always enabled.
                # 1 = 400 are excludes, create connection normally enabled.
                # 2 = 400 are includes, create connection normally disabled.