Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 2008 14:50:33 -0600
From:      Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com>
Subject:   Re: OT: encrypted email using web based application

--TB36FDmn/VVEgNH/

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 03:14:50PM +0200, Svein Halvor Halvorsen wrote:
> Andrew Gould wrote:
> > If I start with Subject line with the word "secure" using my work's ema=
il
> > system, the email is sent to a secure, web based application where the
> > recipients can view the message securely.  The recipients receive a mes=
sage
> > that a secure email message is waiting for them there.  They have to cr=
eate
> > an account based upon their email address to view the message.  They do=
 not
> > have to recreate the accounts for future messages.
> >=20
> > This system is easy to use; and we don't have to worry about whether the
> > recipients have PGP or GPG.  Is there an open source application that d=
oes
> > this?
>=20
> How is this secure? Ok, I can see that if the message is served over
> https, then the network packages themselves cannot be sniffed
> easily. But as long as the recipient did not give you the key to
> use, then this is not secure. Why should the recipient trust the server?
>=20
> Whether there is an open source solution, I don't know however.

It depends on your definition of "secure" -- which can vary from one
circumstance to another.  If the emails in question are "company
property", there's no reason to consider access to the emails by company
officials a breach of security.  On the other hand, if sensitive company
information is sniffed in plain text on the network, that could be
disastrous.

=46rom the sound of it, the circumstances the OP described refer to such a
situation -- one where strict person-to-person privacy isn't a necessary
goal of relevant security concerns.

--=20
Chad Perrin [ content licensed PDL: http://pdl.apotheon.org ]
Scott McNealy: "Microsoft is now talking about the digital nervous
system.  I guess I would be nervous if my system was built on their
technology too."

--TB36FDmn/VVEgNH/

--TB36FDmn/VVEgNH/--