Date:      Fri, 03 May 2002 16:52:18 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
Cc:        Scott Hess <scott@avantgo.com>, "Vladimir B. Grebenschikov" <vova@sw.ru>, fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Filesystem

Bakul Shah wrote:
> > In any case, it's still an incredibly bad idea to have even a tenth
> > of that man objects in a single directory, period.
>
> IMHO it is a bad idea to not have evolved directories to use
> a B-tree representation (at least when the number of entries
> exceed some threshold.  Implement mechanisms and leave
> policies to the users!

You can argue this, but then we are left with software that
will only run well on AIX or [insert pet platform here], and
runs dog slow on other platforms, because it assumes that
the underlying implementation will always be O(log2(N)) instead
of O(N) or O(N**2).

It's a really crappy program that relies on underlying OS
specific features for its efficiencies, because as soon as it's
ported to an OS where the assumptions it makes are no longer
true, it's screwed.

-- Terry