Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2006 07:31:34 -0400
From:      Kevin Brunelle <kruptos@mlinux.org>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        David Hoffman <zionicman@gmail.com>, freebsd-user-groups@freebsd.org, thisdayislong <thisdayislong@gmail.com>, Dennis Olvany <dennisolvany@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fwd: Serious breach of copyright -- First post

On Sunday 18 June 2006 21:54, David Hoffman wrote:
> However, most of what you wrote is incorrect.  Are you seriously trying to
> tell us that the author's name is 'Brett Soupman'?  That seems like a
> pseudonym at best. It's hardly clear he's given you permission to republish
> the work, let alone to claim it as your own.

Do you represent the copyright holder of this article in any manner?  I'm not
convinced that you do if you're not even aware of what his name is.  And even
if Brett Soupman is a pseudonym (which I have seen no indication to support
that) the author still has copyright -- something you wish to argue about --
but can grant the use of his work under the pseudonym.  If he couldn't then
it would be pointless to use one in the first place.

> Moreover, due to the
> copyright notice attributing the page to HOUFUG, exactly who owns the
> article is ambiguous at best.  Sure, Brett owns it, but does HOUFUG own it
> as well? This isn't at all clear.

It is standard practice on the web for site and design copyright to go at the
bottom of each page.  The fact that this copyright is stated in the same
location the site and not the article (as well as the fact that it's on every
page) would lead any reasonable person to believe it talks about the website
and not the article.  Especially considering that valid copyright is now
listed on the site in large clear font.

You've given strong reason to suspect that you're just trying to stir up
trouble and not actually concerned about this copyright issue.  If you had
been, this would have been approached in a much different manner.  I'm not
sure if you are upset about the reference on a personal webpage to the
English only thing (something surely not supported by the project itself) or
have just found a reason to act self-righteous for other purposes.

If you are, in fact, representing the copyright holder of this article or any
other item on the website, could you please clarify that and stop trying to
incite something?

-Kevin