Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 1996 11:08:54 -0300 (EST)
From:      Rodolfo Heitor Gevaerd de Faria <rodolfo@ravel.ufrj.br>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Does BSD support LBA mode?

Randall Hopper was saying that,
]  >Hi I just purchased a copy of FreeBSD on CD and found it won't boot with
]  >my computer.  My question is: does FreeBSD support harddisk LBA mode? I
]  >tried to install it with a 270MB and a 800MB hd and both won't boot.  If
]  >BSD really doesn't support LBA mode what should I do? Without LBA my
]  >computer won't see harddisk >528 MB.
]
] I can confirm that FreeBSD works fine with BIOS LBA.  I have two versions
] of FreeBSD installed on my machine.  One at the back of a 1.2 Gig EIDE
] disk, and one at the end of a 1.6Gig EIDE disk.  The second install, by the
] way, is completely above 528MB.  Been running this setup for over a year
] without any problems.
]
] Randall Hopper
] rhh@ct.picker.com
]
]

  I have a question about LBA..

  I've heard that LBA works fine for HDs < 2Gbytes. But the vendors of
 >2Gbytes drives says that they work with LBA.

  Will those drives ( >2Gbytes, like 2.5G or 3.1G) work with FreeBSD, or
they use those "DiskManager" drivers to work with DOS/Windows.:(

  Has anyone used one of those?

	Rodolfo H G Faria
       <rodolfo@ravel.ufrj.br>