Date:      Mon, 22 Dec 2003 20:06:59 +0100
From:      Kenny Gryp <gryp@dakin.be>
To:        wmrfreebsd@nii.net
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing on Miata

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 12:55:38 -0500
wmrfreebsd@nii.net wrote:

[snipsnap]
> I want to end up with a system that runs Netscape, MySQL, Samba.
> What version should I use?

I'm using a Miata as an application serv. (XFree, gnome2...)
My experiences with FreeBSD and my Miata:
- STABLE releases have many problems with compiling/running
applications. (mozilla...)
- 5.1 worked for me (gcc 3.2.2) but still i couldn't compile
gnupg, mozilla and gnome2 (some apps for gnome2 segfaulted).
- When 5.2RC was out I upgraded immediatly and now the system
compiles/runs mozilla, gnome2 ... (gcc 3.3.3).

So i would recommend 5.2, as this is the only version where almost
everything works.

> If I install 5.2 (from the ISO images I got on ftp.freebsd.org),
> it loads OK after having to hand-edit the XF86Config
> file (I had to put in BusID "PCI:0:12:0").  But then most
> everything on the screen hangs and requires resetting the machine.

Maybe you should look for another Graphics card. I have an Permedia2 8MB
SGRAM (64-bit) and freebsd doesn't work properly with that (linux does).
When googling I found many people saying that the best cards to use are
the Matrox Millenium cards, maybe look for such card.

> The 5.1 install went OK and startx works, bringing up KDE.
> Again, though, after using it for a few minutes, the screen
> hangs and system reboots.  I noticed it happens just after
> clicking on something (with the mouse), as opposed to while
> it is downloading stuff from a webpage.

I don't use the graphics card anymore, but I remember some similar
crashes. The problem could be your PCI. If the graphics card is 32-bit
try to put it in a 32-bit only slot, maybe that resolves the problem.

[snap]

> Also, in case anyone cares, starting with the 5.2 disk 1, and my
> hard drive still formatted for VMS, hangs the partitioning screen.
> A couple of the options resulted in a 'signal 11' error message
> followed by a reboot, a couple of the other options said they
> required me to select a 'slice' or 'partition' at the top of the
> screen, but there were none to select.
>
> I had to run the 4.8 miniinst disk to partition the disk first.
> It didn't seem to have any problem.

I also had some problems with creating a partition on the disk. Maybe it
will work when using the live cd. Download the 2nd iso for the alpha,
this one is an live cd and load it when installing.

Your problem could be different than mine, as signal 11 errors are
'hardware errors' maybe corrupt RAM's or scsi disk.... I don't remember
seeing such signals.

Kenny Gryp

--
http://gryp.dakin.be - gryp@dakin.be