Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 02:19:50 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        brad@bleier.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Indus Drivers

> We use a driver for the DATAFIRE card, but we needed to sign
> a non disclosure agreement to get the info to do it. So therefore
> we can't release the driver! :-(

I think we could, technically, release a binary driver for it, just
as someone could sign an NDA on the Adaptec HIM code and release a
binary driver for Adaptec's RAID controller.

The FreeBSD infrastructure is not (currently) conducive to binary
drivers from third parties, unfortunately, which clouds things
more than a bit.

Part of the problem is that there is a need to be able to statically
link PIC-compiled objects into the kernel, and there is a need to
conceptually, in the build process for the kernel, include binary
driver objects without source dependencies being implied.

This basically goes back to the fact that "config exists as something
more than a list of object files to link together".  8-(.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.