Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 14:22:14 +0000
From:      tim.borgeaud@genie.co.uk
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   CD rip from nonexistant device causes panic

While experimenting with CD ripping I found that I could cause a crash
with Fatal Trap 12 (superviser read page not present) with the seemingly
innocent command.

dd if=/dev/acd1t1 of=test.cdr bs=2352 conv=swab

There is no acd1 in the system. I was curious because the track
(acdXtY) nodes for acd1 were created along with creation of acd0 nodes.

This seems bad to me, is it reasonable to crash the system by
abusing device nodes like this?

I'm only providing brief details. If anyone thinks this deserves more
attention I can get some more details later on, I'm not at the machine
at the mo. Note that I haven't explored this much because the machine
needs to be usable.

System uses a asustek cuv266 mainboard with VIA 82C686b (ATA100)
controller.

device		 		 ata
device		 		 atadisk
device		 		 atapicd

options ATAPI_STATIC

The atapi devices I have are 2 disks and 1 dvd rom drive:
ata0-master ad0    UDMA33
ata0-slave dvdrom  PIO4
ata1-master ad2    UDMA100

Tim