Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 1999 11:33:14 -0700 (MST)
From:      Colin Eric Johnson <colinj@cs.unm.edu>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: support for cardbus adaptec 1480A?

On Thu, 30 Dec 1999, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:

> Colin Eric Johnson wrote:
> >
> > > AIC6360 is used in SlimSCSI, Adaptec 1460.
> >
> > I have seen the ``new'' aic stuff in the kernel appear but I haven't been
> > able to get my Adaptec 1460c card to be recognized properly. Should this
> > be working under -STABLE (I'm running 3.4)? Or is this working under
> > -CURRENT?
>
> It ought to be working on -STABLE. What do you mean by "recognized
> properly"? dmesg | grep aic? Do you *have* aic in your kernel at all,
> btw?

yeah I do have aic in my kernel ;-)

What I get when I plug the card in is

Dec 30 11:24:39 trurl pccardd[61]: driver allocation failed for Adaptec,
Inc.

When the kernel starts up I get

Dec 30 10:58:29 trurl /kernel: Initializing PC-card drivers: ep sio

Which confuses me as I think I have the pccard.conf with everything in it.
I've checked for irq conflicts and I can't find any, the SCSI card should
work in IRQs 4 and 5. I've disabled the built in serial port which is the
only thing that uses irq 4.

Here's the portions of the pertinent files. If someone can spot what I'm
missing, or tell me where to look I'd really appreciate it.

+------------------+
+ /etc/pccard.conf +
+------------------+

# Generally available IO ports
io      0x240-0x360
# Generally available IRQs (Built-in sound-card owners remove 5)
irq     3 4 5 9 10 11 13 15
# Available memory slots
memory  0xd4000  96k

# 3Com Etherlink III 3C589D
card "3Com Corporation" "3C589D"
        config  0x1 "ep0" 10
        insert  echo 3Com Etherlink III inserted
        insert  /etc/pccard_ether ep0
        remove  echo 3Com Etherlink III removed
        remove  /sbin/ifconfig ep0 delete

card "Psion Dacom" "Gold Card Global 56K+Fax"
        config  0x21 "sio3" 9
        insert  echo Psion Dacom 56k+Fax inserted
        insert  /usr/sbin/ppp -ddial thuntek
        remove  echo Psion Dacom 56k+Fax removed
        remove  kill `cat /var/run/tun0.pid`

# Adaptec SlimSCSI (also included with Sony CD-ROM players)
card "Adaptec, Inc." "APA-1460 SCSI Host Adapter"
        config  0x9 "aic0" 4
        insert  echo Adaptec Slim SCSI inserted
        remove  echo Adaptec Slim SCSI removed

+--------------------+
+ from kernel config +
+--------------------+

controller      scbus0  #base SCSI code
device          da0     #SCSI direct access devices (aka disks)

# aic: Adaptec 152x
controller      aic0    at isa? port 0x340 cam irq 4

+ from dmesg +

trurl 7 % dmesg | grep aic
aic0 not found at 0x340
trurl 8 % dmesg | grep not