Date:      Sat, 30 Aug 1997 22:09:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "KHALID .H MATAR" <me95111075@kuc01.kuniv.edu.kw>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ide cd-rom driver (help neede it )

On Sat, 30 Aug 1997, KHALID .H MATAR wrote:

> i have been trying to install freebsd for the last 3 weeks
> i trayed everything and it couldent work
> my praplem was alwaywys in the medei section
> and becoues my cd-rom was not suported

What release are you trying to install?  You need to be trying
2.1.5-RELEASE or later for IDE-interfaced CDROMs to work.

> the anser to my proalem and my unsoprted cd-rom
> is to used a boot from a flopy
> and that i need a defrent boot disk
> from the file
> ATAPI.FLP
> i couldent find that file in the 2 cd-rom set nither in the ftp site
> the book refer that it is still in the alpha test

The ATAPI CDROM code isn't perfect, it does miss some drives that don't
follow standards.

After 2.1.5, the ATAPI code was integrated into the standard boot.flp and
atapi.flp was abolished.  So no special floppy image is necessary.

If you're still having trouble, try moving your CD to the slave position
on the primary IDE controller.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo