Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 09:28:53 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        michaelh@cet.co.jp (Michael Hancock)
Cc:        pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co, aaron@veritas.com, terry@lambert.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Feasibility of porting Linux filesystem code?

> In kernel code it's natural to have OS specific API's.  To do an
> out-of-kernel fs layer for FreeBSD I will have to identify all the FreeBSD
> API calls that are required in fs code and see if we can emulate them.  It
> might be difficult to emulate some of the semantics.

We did it under Windows95 for a commercial product.  It's not that
hard.  I would like to see the dependency set get a lot smaller and
the bottom end interface get a lot cleaner, though.  Too bad no one
else is interested in making FS code easy to write... too much danger
that people will actually start coding there, I guess.

> The vnode interface in FreeBSD is designed to be extensible, it is
> different from the SYSV vnode interface derived from the SunOS
> implementation which is fixed.

The SVR4 vnode interfaces is modelled after the SunOS 4.x interface;
I think the Solaris interface was actually modelled after the SVR4
interface as part of the trade where SVR4 got Sun's VM code (don't
quote me on that, though).

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org