Date:      Fri, 30 Jan 1998 18:26:04 -0100
From:      Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>
To:        jacques@wired.ctech.ac.za
Cc:        rivers@dignus.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to fix a DISPLAY error

At 10:58 30.01.98 -0500, you wrote:

>> Hi there guys ...
>>
>> I'm trying to export an app from a Solaris box
>> to my FBSD box, but I get this error.
>>
>> X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for
>> operation)
>>   Major opcode of failed request:  53 (X_CreatePixmap)
>>   Value in failed request:  0x8
>>   Serial number of failed request:  130
>>   Current serial number in output stream:  133
>>
>> Where can one fix this.  It looks like some illegal code
>> request to my VGA card. ??? Or does the app on the Solaris
>> box need some tweekinhg?

Yes, the app seems to need some mods. It is likely that this error results
from a XCreatePixmap-call, which is a Xlib-function. It takes 5 parameters:
Display, Drawable, int width, int height, int depth.
Since the value of the failed request is 0x8 is would suspect that it
is related to the depth-value in the XCreatePixmap-call.
Then first of all i would check if you are running a monochrome-X-server
on your FBSD-machine. If yes, this is most likely your problem.
The easiest way to solve this problem is to use a X-Server that supports a
depth of >1.
It may be not trivial to patch your app. Best case would be to just change
the depth in the XCreatePixmap-call. But as you already imagine, there could
be many other Xlib-calls relying on a depth of 8.

Good Luck.

Malte Lance
malte@webmore.com