Date:      Wed, 18 Nov 1998 21:07:27 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        sporkl@ix.netcom.com
Cc:        Alex Knowles <alex@targeting.co.uk>, "Questions (E-mail)" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: I can't believe I am soo stupid

Spike Gronim wrote:

> If you have "sudo" on your system, type "sudo my_favorite_editor
> /etc/passwd" and change root's shell to /usr/local/bin/tcsh, which is
> where tcsh usually gets installed to.

If you edit /etc/passwd, you'll have to rebuild /etc/pwd.db as well. And
make sure /etc/{master.,}passwd are in sync (don't know what would
happen if they weren't). Would just ``sudo vipw'' work to do it the
right way?

> Or, you can boot to single-user mode (the -s option at boot time) and hit
> enter when it asks you for a shell. Then you can edit /etc/passwd and
> reboot the system.

Or use ``shutdown now'' to drop down to single user, that way you
shouldn't need to reboot :-) This assumes you have put yourself into
group operator, so you have exec permission for /sbin/shutdown

--
Ben Smithurst
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk

send a blank message to ben+pgp@scientia.demon.co.uk for PGP key