Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 1997 09:45:59 +0200 (MESZ)
From:      Robert Eckardt <roberte@mep.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
To:        rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
Cc:        roberte@mep.ruhr-uni-bochum.de, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to mount from a Linux box ?

> Robert Eckardt:
>  |The other problem, however, still remains:
>  |How to get rid of an NFS-mounted FS when the remote side goes down
>  |and/or the mounted directory is no longer available.
>  |Even `umount -f' does not work.
>
> Would a soft NFS mount be sufficient?  At least it won't retry forever.
> (Don't have your original msg so you might have mentioned something about
> this.)

No, sorry, I should have given an example:

 *  <-- /cdrom on beta is mounted
9:36 pion: /root 0#% mount -t nfs -o soft beta:/cdrom /mnt
 *  <-- /cdrom on beta gets umounted
9:36 pion: /root 0#% ll /mnt
ls: mnt: Stale NFS file handle
9:36 pion: /root 0#% umount /mnt
umount: beta:/cdrom: No such file or directory
9:36 pion: /root 1#% umount -f /mnt
umount: beta:/cdrom: No such file or directory
9:36 pion: /root 1#% mount
[..]
beta:/cdrom on /mnt

[ There was another question on this list, with a hanging umount.
  But I don't have the mail right here. ]

Robert

--
Dr. Robert Eckardt                                                 (
    Ruhr-Universitaet Bochum, Inst.f.Theor.Physik, NB6/169          )